Get the inside scoop on the latest makeup, hair and skincare launches

Thursday 4 November 2010

My favourite exfoliator...

...is Clinique Turnaround Instant Facial Masque, £31 (Boots). Yes it is pricey for an exfoliator but in this post, I will more than justify its substantial price tag.

As I've already mentioned in this-here blog, I have no time for wishy-washy, barely-there, skin-tickling buffers. But equally, I don't want to slough away layers of healthy skin with overly-abrasive exfoliators. Clinique's Turnaround Instant Facial Masque is the Goldilocks of exfoliators...it's juuuust right.

The masque is technically more of a microdermabrasion treatment, so it's great for older, lined skins. It works in two ways - first, using small, round beads it physically buffs away the top layers of skin-dulling cells. Secondly, the masque helps to slough away dead skin cells chemically, using Salicylic acid.  A shot of the acid boosts deep-down exfoliation, whilst helping to encourage new, healthy cell turnover. This ingredient is particularly clever, as it is able to seek out dry patches to buff away flaky skin. This acid element is particularly helpful to older skins, where skin regeneration has slowed, to encourage a fresher, younger-looking complexion.

The masque even helps protect the skin against free radical damage (these attack the skin's cells and can result in premature ageing) in the form of Resveratol and Rice Bran extract. The addition of caffeine helps to calm the redness associated with exfoliation. Clinique, you've thought of everything!

How to use: Once cleansed, apply a good 20p-sized amount of the mask to the face and leave for 5 minutes. Massage the mask in, using your fingertips and rinse with warm water. Clinique advises using the mask 2-3 times a week, but I would say twice-weekly is more than enough.

The result? My olive complexion can often look dull and lacklustre. I use this masque once a week, and it's a must before a big night out. As soon as I hop out of the bath, my skin looks completely renewed. The masque leaves my skin brighter, more radiant and even in tone. Sx

No comments:

Post a Comment