Get the inside scoop on the latest makeup, hair and skincare launches

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Beauty Writer Picks....Nail Polish

Just like my natural hair colour, which has been masked under layer upon layer of bleached-blonde, mahogany and ebony shades, I don't think I've seen my nail bed for years. They might not always be pin-neat and chip-free, but my talons are rarely without a slick of polish. Cue my nail fab four - these are the brands I can rely on for long-lasting, flawless, hip 'n' trendy colour.

Essie Nail Enamel, £9.50 (nailsbymail.co.uk)
Fave shade: I remember the first time I saw Essie's neon-bright, 'Disco Pink'. I was so desperately in love with the colour, I ran back to my desk and painted my nails there and then. Sadly, the fluoro pink shade has been discontinued but 'Pink Parka' is a darn close match. Perfect for beach-bound toes!

Shade to watch: Launched in September, Essie's A/W collection is unequivocally autumnal, from 'Sew Psyched', a brooding, sort of pewter shade, to the chocolate-like 'Little Brown Dress' (pictured).


Revlon Nail Enamel, £6.29 (nationwide)
Fave shade: 'Minted'. This spearmint blue/green hue is the shade of 2010. It was Revlon who created the first nail enamel way back in 1932 and I have long admired their super-smooth, non-tacky formulas. I know that two coats of a Revlon polish will see me through most of the week. 

Shade to watch: It seems pastel hues are becoming the brand's speciality. Here's a sneaky peek of one of Revlon's S/S 11 shades, 'Blue Lagoon' - don't say I don't spoil you.

Barry M Nail Paint, £2.95 (Superdrug)
Fave shade: I was lucky enough to receive Chanel's Black Satin nail colour for Christmas one year. My mum had had to join a waiting list to secure the must-have shade of the season. At the time, black polish was not easy to find so I was utterly thrillied when the gothic enamel turned up in my stocking. I wasn't so elated when the polish actually melted off on holiday (I can't say I'm a fan of Chanel's nail formulas, however gorgeous their colours may be). Barry M's black, on the other hand, is right on the money. The thin consistency goes on evenly, and two coats will ensure chip-free nails for a good few days.

Shade to watch: O.M.G. Barry M's new Instant Nail Effects, £3.99, is amazing. The polish can be swept over their existing shades to create a distressed, black pattern. So if you're looking for a leopard print look, the brand suggest applying a base coat of their Yellow Nail Paint, then layering Instant Nail Effects on top, no intricate nail art necessary! Magic!


OPI Nail Lacquer, £9.95 (lenawhite.co.uk)
Fave shade: Never do I have so many mani compliments as when I wear 'Over the Taupe' - a gorgeous mushroom shade from OPI. There's a reason why it's the brand favoured by manicurists - the lacquers go on evenly and the strong pigments mean that, even if you're in a rush, one coat still looks fabulous. 
Black Shatter Top Coat


Shade to watch: I am ridiculously excited about Katy Perry's new range for the brand, which launches this coming January. The four laquer shades are delicious enough as they are, but Katy has also
'Teenage Dream'
come up with a Black Shatter Top Coat that creates a to-die-for cracked effect when layered on top of these delectable shades. Join the queue now ladies! Sx





No comments:

Post a Comment