Get the inside scoop on the latest makeup, hair and skincare launches

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Creme de la Creme of Concealers

I've long admired Crème de la Mer products...from afar. At Grazia, the triple-figure moisturizing cream often graced the beauty cupboard shelves, but during my time at Fabulous I never even heard from the PR. Figures. So when a sample of their new Radiant Concealer SPF 25 (Stockist 0870 034 2566) arrived on my doorstep last week, I was overjoyed to say the least.

First let's begin with a negative...at £46, it's pricey. I'm afraid to say that I don't think any of my friends or family would EVER pay that much for a concealer, however amazing.

And it is amazing. Aesthetically alone, the white and mirrored (handy!) concealer case looks tres chic and comes with its very own pearlescent white pouch. This does look pretty and screams 'I'M EXPENSIVE!' but I'm not sure how useful it is when transporting the concealer in a handbag - a quick touch up turns into more of an exercise in precision opening and trying not to drop the case. The concealer comes with a mini brush - this is lovely. The bristles are super soft and the brush makes it that much easier to cover blemishes flawlessly, as opposed to clumsily camouflaging with your finger.

The cream-to-powder concealer is formulated with gemstones that work by diffusing the light to mask blemishes and smooth the skin. The SPF25 is a great addition, especially when covering dark circles - you know that delicate eye area is protected! As with all Creme de la Mer products, marine and plant extracts help to promote healthy skin, and in this product in particular are designed to minimise dark circles, puffiness and pore size. The concealer also contains a mushroom extract (Viapure Poria, if you're interested) that helps to calm red, inflamed skin so it's great for spot-prone complexions.

As many of you know, I'm a little obsessed with Mad Men. It turns out that the Deparment Head of Makeup on the show, Lana Horochowski, is already a fan of the concealer.

“I love the La Mer’s Radiant Concealer! It is so light and has just enough coverage without being cakey! I use it with a small brush and blend really well, I love that it doesn't crease or roll! In fact it is so sheer I don't even set it with powder, it brightens and sets all on its own!”
Luckily for my own testing (not so lucky for leaving the house) I had a serious breakout last week and woke up to some ghost-like dark circles (which I never suffer from). All in all, I looked pretty butters. This concealer had its work cut out, for sure. I dotted the concealer on to blemishes and around the eye area then blended with the brush. Unlike pretty much every other concealer I've tried, which seems to cake around my spots, this smoothed over imperfections, like velvet. These rare dark circles were barely visible and even the reddest of spots blended into my skin. The powder finish also meant that coverage lasts for hours. At school I used to use the Rimmel Hide the Blemish Concealer, which had to be repeatedly retouched on breaks, frees and lunch. It's worth noting that in that week I had a lot to conceal but the creamy formula goes a long way and I've barely made a dent.

So while at first the pricetag did seem outrageous to me, having spent my teens suffering with spots, not wanting to leave the house on occasion, I wish I'd had a concealer like this. You can't put a price on the confidence that flawless skin gives you, even at 24! Sx

No comments:

Post a Comment