Get the inside scoop on the latest makeup, hair and skincare launches

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Get HD Ready with these Futuristic Foundations

I've heard all sorts of rumours of A-listers running to their dermatologist's office for fillers, peels and lifts to prepare themselves for the launch of HD TV, where every line, imperfection and pore is exposed. Luckily for us, cosmetic companies have quickly caught on to the idea that women need more from their makeup in the wake of high definition broadcasting. This new wave of 'skin-dations' (so flattering on your skin, it's a cross between skincare and foundation) address a multitude of concerns such as uneven skin tone, smoothing imperfections and even filling out wrinkles.
Let's begin with Revlon's Photo Ready Makeup, £12.99 (Boots). I'm a massive fan of this foundation (I'm on my second bottle already). It's been tested with an HD camera-lens, under the most unflattering, harshest lighting, so we can all rest assured that our skin will look flawless in natural daylight or fluorescent lighting. So how does it work? Well photochromatic pigments within the foundation reflect and difuse the light to give the illusion of smooth, even skin. I love the fact it offers full coverage (pores and imperfections are barely visible) without dulling the skin. In fact, my skin looks so glowy and luminous, it's like having my own personal airbrusher on standby!
I like to think I've got a few years before I have to start worrying about wrinkles, but I'm a definite convert of Avon Anew Beauty Age-Transforming Foundation, £15 (avonshop.co.uk). This foundation contains collagen and elastin to replenish decreasing supplies (after the age of 25, our body's natural supply of collagen starts to deplete...eek!), and smooth wrinkles. I can't comment on its wrinkle-busting abilities personally, but my skin looks healthy, without being overly luminous (the Revlon foundation may be too sheeny for some). This is definitely a winner for anyone over 35.

Max Factor Xperience Weightless Foundation, £12.99 (Boots) has just launched this month and promises to be a big seller for the brand. I'm sure there are many women out there like me who need to wear foundation to cover imperfections, but don't necessarily enjoy wearing it. Max Factor tries to answer this problem with a super lightweight, whipped formula. This, coupled with the addition of moisturising jojoba extract, means it feels more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation (i.e silky-smooth and light as a feather). I would recommend oilier skins prepping the skin with a mattifying primer first, as it has a tendency to slip off grease-prone areas. It's USP though, is the shade palette. After global skin tone research, MF has based the shade range on yellow tones, rather than pink, which according to them, is better suited to British women's skin tones. As Max Factor makeup artist Caroline Barnes says, 'As a makeup artist, using yellow toned foundation neutralises redness and flatters most skin tones.' I defy you not to find your perfect shade! Sx

No comments:

Post a Comment